Tuesday, February 15, 2011

MELT-IN-YOUR MOUTH BUTTER MINTS


I and my family have always enjoyed my friend's homemade MELT-IN-YOUR-MOUTH BUTTER MINTS.  They are so smooth and creamy--they just melt in your mouth!  The mint flavor is just right--not too weak, yet not strong, either--just perfect!  I bought a small marble top at a second-hand store at a very reasonable price because I didn't have one.  The butter mints aren't hard to make, and I do recommend using a marble slab as she suggests.  Let me tell you, they are definitely worth it--they are my very favorite mint!

MELT-IN-YOUR-MOUTH BUTTER MINTS (Melanie's)
3 cups white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
dash of salt
1/4 teaspoon mint
Put butter, salt and water in large saucepan.  Cook until butter melts, on medium high heat.  Add sugar.  When sugar is melted, put lid on pan and boil for 3 minutes on medium high.  Take lid off, wash down sides of pan with water.  Cook until 256 degrees with a candy thermometer.  Pour hot mixture on cold, buttered, marble slab.  Add mint.  Turn edges in with spatula until cool enough to handle and pull.  Pull like taffy, until it loses its glossiness.  Stretch into a rope and cut into 1-inch pieces.  Set until mellow, usually 3-5 hours.  Put in an airtight container to store.   These are WONDERFUL!
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment