Saturday, July 24, 2010

WHITE-A GOOD BUFFER BETWEEN STRONG-COLORED PLANTS


WHITE has always been one of my favorite colors in the garden.  I learned early, however, that white needs to be used in mass to to avoid a 'spotty' effect.  It is a good buffer color, but planting one plant here and one plant there to break up other colors just doesn't create a good effect.  You can plant several white plants and use them between bright colors, though, and it can create harmony in your bed.  Another thing I like about white blooms is that they show up well at night, they add a feeling of elegance and calm, and can make your area look larger than it is.  I have some wonderful white flowers:  goatsbeard, daisy, candytuft, peony, oriental poppy, phlox, dahlia, gladiola, baby's breath, Siberian iris, tall bearded iris, tulips, snowball tree, lilac, poppy, rose, hyacinth, obedient plant, white bleeding heart, mum, Jacob's ladder, heuchera, and hibiscus.  A visit to an "all-white" garden years ago still remains one of my favorite gardens I have viewed--it was simply elegant, and restful.  This collage shows some of my favorite white blooms in our flower beds.  Just remember that white can unite, if used wisely in your beds. 
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment