Tuesday, August 31, 2010

PERENNIAL SALVIA


There are many Saliva's--popular annuals, tried-and-true hardy perennials, herb saliva's, and even shrub-like Saliva's.  As you know, I prefer perennials, so that's what I have.  Salvia is most known and grown for its showy, erect spikes of two-lipped flowers, coming in shades of red, pink, white, yellow, violet or true blue.  One thing you'll immediately notice about saliva is its aromatic leaves.  It reminds me of the smell of sagebrush.  It is really a member of the mint family.  The reasons I prefer the perennial Saliva is because it doesn't need to be replaced every year, and because it is so easy and carefree to take care of.  Once established, it is drought tolerant, and fairly pest free as well.  Another thing that I like about Salvia is that it comes true from seed.  It takes about 6-8 weeks for the seeds to germinate and produce a seedling.  Or,  just take a division or cutting from one you have and want to duplicate.  Keep it evenly moist and in an area that is a little protected from the harsh sun.   Divide when they get woody in the center of the plant.  Saliva's add that special  touch through late-summer.  I put mine in a ring early in the season so when they are taller, they stay erect--plus it gives me the room I need for other perennials growing close by.  I have 3 beautiful true blue ones--they bear indigo blooms, staying in bloom for 2-3 months.  I can extend it's bloom length if I cut it down 1/4 after the first bloom period. I have a friend who has an entire garden with many different cultivars, and it's stunning!  Salvia need full sun.  Plant as far apart as it is tall.  They will return year after year with little trouble.  Salvia go well with lilies, daisies, flowering annuals, mums and gladiola.
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

2 comments:

  1. Great article. I love learning about Salvia. I found an interesting article about them from Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh, NC at: (www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Plants/Genus/Salvia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I actually have the last couple of catalogs from Plant Delights--they're wonderful! I especially love their section on hostas!

    ReplyDelete