Friday, September 3, 2010

BELLS OF IRELAND-Moluccella laevis


I've always enjoyed seeing florist's arrangements that had the tall, stately, green-colored Bells of Ireland.  I didn't know that they were so easy to grow until I ordered some seeds three years ago.  I sowed them outside, but didn't have many that germinated.  But, the next year, I had many!  The seed lasted through the winter outside and was still viable.  And since they readily self-sow, this year I had so many I had to thin them!  So, I expect next year I'll have a good supply as well!  When planting seeds, don't cover with soil, as they need light to germinate.  It takes about a month for germination.  They like full sun or light shade. When using in floral arrangements, they look best when you remove the little side leaves that grow at the side of the 'bell.'  They are also very pretty when dried and used in dry flower arrangements.  They tend to fall over if they're in rich soil, so you may have to stake them, or ring them.  In fall, or when they have dried naturally on the stem, cut them down. Since they readily reseed, if you don't want seedlings, cut back before they go to seed.  I think you'd be happy with these unique-colored blooms in your gardens.
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment