Thursday, September 23, 2010

DUTCH IRIS - AN EASY-TO-GROW BULB


DUTCH IRIS are easy to grow bulbs that are usually purchased in fall along with the tulip and daffodil bulbs.  They grow in average to rich, well-drained soil in full sun or at least in a site that is sunny in spring, but can be shaded in summer and fall with deciduous trees (trees that lose their leaves in the fall and re-leaf in the spring).  To bloom reliably, they need a warm, dry spot during their summer dormancy.  If your area is wet through the season, they won't do well, and you most  likely will lose them.  To prevent this, they can be dug after their foliage ripens, and stored in a brown paper bag in a warm, dry, dark place, then replanted in the fall. (This actually gives them the 'ripening' period that they require).   I've also heard that you shouldn't replant them in the same place for best results.  Plant them now, in the fall, being careful to plant them with perennials that don't need watering in the summer, like a site along the top of a wall, raised garden, or, I've found that a rock garden, or against a cement retaining wall works well because this helps provide the hot, dry soil they require in the summer.  They like to be fed with bone meal, or I like triple super phosphate.  They bloom after the tall bearded iris, in late spring, on about 24" stems.  They make excellent cut flowers, but I'm careful how I use them in arrangements, because sometimes so much of the stem is cut off that they don't bloom well the next year, because the stem is what "feeds" the bulbs for the next year. I usually order some new ones each year for those that I might lose. They aren't very expensive, and so it's easy to replace them.  I've just received an email that my new dutch iris bulbs are on their way, so I'll be planting mine in the next few days.  They add that 'something special' to the beds that I really enjoy.
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment