Thursday, November 25, 2010

THANKSGIVING PRAYER--LET'S GIVE THANKS!


Today is one of my favorite days of the year--Thanksgiving!  And, the name says it all--Thanksgiving--What a better time than today to reflect upon the many blessings and opportunities we have, and give thanks for those blessings.  I cut something out in the  paper years ago, and I still like to read it every year to remind me of what's important.  Abigail Van Buren first penned this traditional Thanksgiving prayer and I think it's worth repeating: 

Oh, Heavenly Father,
We thank Thee for food and remember the hungry.
We thank Thee for health and remember the sick.
We thank Thee for family, and remember those who are alone.
We thank Thee for friends and remember the friendless.
We thank Thee for freedom and remember the enslaved.
May these remembrances stir us to service,
That Thy gifts to us may be used for others.

I have a great family--a good husband, six children (one deceased), 3 great in-law children, and 5 beautiful grandchildren.  They are truly the light of my life!  I am thankful for them this day, and want to express my love and appreciation to them this Thanksgiving Day.

I'm not only thankful for my  family, but good friends, my good health, and a special "Thank You" to those who are, and who have, served to help keep my freedoms in this beautiful land.   My Dad, D.L. Holland, served in the US Navy in the submarine service during WWII.  He served in many war patrols and hearing about some of the harrowing experiences he had makes me so thankful for men and women like him.  Great sacrafices are made in order to serve country.  Countless men and women, and their love of country and a willingness to serve have helped pave the way for the freedoms that we all enjoy.  I honor them and am thankful for them this day.
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment