Friday, November 5, 2010

MUMS AND FLORIST'S MUMS - A REAL SHOW!







These are the last of the pink/rose/purple Florist's mums.  I only have three plants left, a beautiful white spider, a bronze decorative, and a lacy deep golden brown spider. Hopefully the weather will cooperate long enough for them to bloom.  They are late bloomers, and as we have only a few good days left before storms are going to hit my area, I hope that will be long enough for them to bud-out.  The season has been good for the mums.  I had some trouble with winter kill last year for 6 of the florist's mums. I will be experimenting on two different ways to keep them over the winter.  I think last year I lost the 6 plants because I didn't mulch them or take them in--Florist's mums may not be as hardy as the garden mums, or it may have been because it was their first year, and the plants were less hardy because they weren't as established.  I will be trying 2 suggested methods of over-wintering them for next spring and I'll see which works best:  Heavily mulch the plants outside, or dig an entire plant up and store in a dark, cool place in vermiculite, keeping them so they don't dry out.   It will be interesting to see which method works best; I'll post it my results next spring and let you know. 
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment