Saturday, November 6, 2010

BANANA NUT BREAD--MOIST AND NUTTY--MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE RECIPE!


I've been making this recipe for banana bread ever since I can remember.  It's my Grandma Hirschi's recipe, passed down to my mother, and then to me.  It is the best I've tasted.  I like it because it's so moist, and, of course, I load it with nuts. (However, I always make some loaves without nuts, to make everyone in the family happy).   In baking the loaves, I use several sizes of baking pans, depending on what I'm doing with the loaves.  Made in small loaves, the batter goes a long way, and is a fun gift to give neighbors for any holiday or occasion, wrapped in pretty cellophane paper or gift bags with a colorful ribbon tied around it.  It freezes very well, keeping for months, if needed.  After baking, I like to store it in the refrigerator, which keeps it nice and heavy and moist.  I use walnuts, and I think it's best with them.  Placing 3 whole ones on top before baking makes a nice presentation of the loaves after baked.  I keep the nuts super coarsely chopped, and I use very ripe, big bananas--which is the key.  Let them ripen until they are dark brown.  (You can also freeze whole, unpeeled bananas that are the ripeness you want, but you don't have the time to bake, or maybe enough bananas to make the desired amount of batter .  I just put them in the freezer until I have enough--I usually times the recipe by 6 for the holidays  and there is no problem doing this).   If you want a new recipe for banana bread, give this one a try--I think you'll agree with me it's a great one!

MY FAVORITE BANANA NUT BREAD
1/2 C shortening
1 C sugar
2 eggs
4 Tablespoons milk
1 2/3 C flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large, ripe bananas
1 - 1 1/2 C coarsely chopped walnuts
Cream shortening and sugar.  Add milk.  Mix well.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Peel and mash bananas until smooth.  Add to the batter and stir until well blended.  Add chopped nuts.  Bake in desired greased and floured pans, filling them about 1/2 full with the batter.  (I use parchment or waxed paper to line the loaves, then they come out easily and I don't have to use any grease or spray products).  Top with some nice whole walnuts on top if desired.  Bake until done--the time will depend on the size of the loaf pan you are using.  The regular-sized bread tins take about 30-45 minutes.  Check often.  You want them to be barely past the stage when a toothpick comes out clean.  They are best if they aren't over-cooked.  Remove from pans and cool on racks.  Then eat, freeze, or give away!
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment