Thursday, March 10, 2011

MY FAVORITE CHILI WITH GROUND BEEF


This is a recipe I developed for chili for our family many years ago, when the kids were small.  I'll tell you right up front--it's not hot.  (for the small kids, it was perfect, and, for me, too, since I am very sensitive to heat).  This FAVORITE CHILI WITH GROUND BEEF has chili powder, and a little cayenne, but the heat is minimal--which is great for me.  I like my chili nice and meaty, with stewed tomatoes and plump, dark red kidney beans, or a blend of light and dark, so this recipe if full of those ingredients.   Served plain, or with sour cream, grated cheese, and cheese and crackers, it makes a full meal.  And, of course, you can add additional spices to make this hearty chili have more heat, if desired. 

CHILI WITH GROUND BEEF
2 lbs. ground beef (I use 97-3%)
2 large onions, chopped
3 cans stewed tomatoes, chopped up
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
 2 cans (15 1/2 oz.) kidney beans, drained
tomato juice, to desired consistency (opt)
Brown ground beef with chopped onions, until tender.  Drain, if necessary.  Add remaining ingredients except the beans and additional tomato juice.  Heat to boiling.  Stir.  Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.  Add beans, and, if desired, more tomato juice.  (I like mine chunky and meaty, so I don't add any additional juice).  Heat through.  Serve with cheese and crackers, or, if desired, grated cheese and sour cream.  Yummy!



Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment