Wednesday, August 10, 2011

ZINNIAS--BRIGHT, CHEERY, AND CAREFREE!





Some wonderful flowers that have gained popularity the past few years are ZINNIAS.  I have enjoyed growing STATE FAIR ZINNIAS for the past couple of years.  The 30-36" tall blooms are annuals, and add much needed color to the summer and fall beds.  They increase and continue to bloom until frost. I am going to save my seed, and replant it next winter inside, then when weather permits, transplant outdoors.  Another big plus for zinnias is their vase life--one of the longest of any I use from the garden.   Their bright and cheery colors welcome all who come to visit.  An interesting thing about the State Fair variety is that no two seem alike--some are full, with layers of petals, some just a single row, and others semi double.  I also love their lovely 'star' center--tiny perfectly formed star blooms in the center of most of them.  The colors are widely varied as well--I've counted no less than 13 different pink shades, as well as different shades of orange, red, and yellow.  I've only had one white--it was really a cream color.  At any rate, ZINNIAS have turned out to be my very favorite annual--next year I'm going to plant several flats of these giant beauties!


Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment