Sunday, October 23, 2011

SPIDERS - OUR FRIENDS IN THE GARDEN





















When I was growing up, I was deathly afraid of spiders of all kinds, and thought of them as evil, scary little monsters!  As the years have passed, and I have seen first hand just how helpful they are in the garden, I have developed a great respect and love for these hairy little friends of ours.  I have found out that they are invaluable in the gardens--keeping damaging pests from destroying our blooms and foliage.  I have found they are basically quite shy and non-aggressive as a rule.  If you don't bother them, they won't bother you.  I love to study some of them as they spin their intricate webs, and have marveled how they can maneuver on their web without getting 'entangled' like their prey.  We once had three cat spiders in our yard that we could watch from our window--they had spun webs by the eaves of our home.  It was so interesting watching them spin their beautifully formed orb webs, spun every night to perfection.  I still don't like or tolerate spiders inside, but outside is another thing--I don't kill them outside, unless it's a black widow, which, of course, is poisonous and shouldn't be fooled with.  I have grown accustomed to them and appreciate them for the role they play in keeping my beds healthy.  


Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment