Saturday, September 19, 2015

STEM-DYED ORCHIDS - A work of art made easy


The weekly arrangement for August 16th were some stem-dyed orchids. For a fun and easy way to produce exotic-looking colorful blooms, you can stem dye flowers.To do this, simply get a stem in bud of your favorite flower.I like to use white buds of orchids, daisies, lilies, roses and carnations. I use science lab vials, but you could use any deep, thin vial or vase.I got my vials online and they come 6-8 in a set in a wire open box-type container. I use regular food coloring, but there may be other mediums you can use. Put 3-4 drops of the color you desire, fill with water, and plunge the freshly cut stem in each vial. I keep the stems like this in my garage refrigerator, used for flowers, for a week. When I'm ready to arrange, I arrange with a floral preservative. When the buds bloom, they will be variable in lovely colors.I prefer to use blue, but shades of rose, orange and green are also pretty.











Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment