Thursday, January 19, 2017

GLADIOLA -- COLORFUL, EASY-TO-GROW SUMMER BLOOMS




Colorful blooms of gladiola in late July brighten up any day. I plant the corms usually in April, depending on the weather conditions that year.  (Although some are left in the ground through the winter, and they will grow and bloom first). I plant several corms every two weeks, insuring blooms all through the summer months and into fall.




I add some every year to the beds and thin the ones that have stayed in the ground through the winter months. Most that I have used are a mix of colors; I rarely get corms of all one color. I like planting them because they don't take up much room vertically--they're easy to 'tuck in' in areas that don't have much room. I use them where spring blooms are through blooming and a color spot is needed in the beds.



The tall 48-60" glads may need staking. I prefer planting the 36-48" varieties--they are easier to take take of in my garden beds. Plant in full sun in soil that will be moist, but not wet. When cutting for arrangements, since they bloom from the bottom to the top, make sure color is showing on the buds not in bloom. Always use a floral preservative, and keep out of direct sunlight for longer-lasting bouquets.
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment