Tuesday, October 5, 2010

IT'S THE PERFECT TIME FOR BEST-EVER APPLE CRISP!


We have quite a few of our apples in storage from the 2 apple trees in the yard that we harvested this fall.  They are nice and sweet, and are the perfect apple for making the BEST-EVER APPLE CRISP-  It is simply delicious!  I've tasted and tried a lot of apple crisps, but I keep coming back to this recipe that's been in the family for years.  Growing up, we used my grandpa's home-grown yellow banana apples, but the tree is no longer there, and so now I use  the apples from our Golden Delicious apple tree, and they make a very good crisp.  When I make it, since we have some in our family who don't like nuts, I only put broken walnuts in 1/2 of the crisp topping.   It's great with a dollop pf whipped cream on top, or a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.   I hope you enjoy it as much we do!

Best-Ever Apple Crisp
8-10 lg cooking apples (I use Golden delicious)
1 Cup flour
1 stick butter
1 C sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Cup chopped walnuts
1/2 Cup cold water
Peel, core and slice apples in a 1 1/2 qt. baking dish or 9X13 pan.  In a separate bowl, cut together the butter and flour, as for pie pastry.  When like meal, add the sugar, cinnamon, and salt.  Add chopped nuts and mix.  Spoon dry ingredients evenly over the sliced apples.  Make 3 holes in dry mixture.  Pour the water into the holes.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, or until  golden brown.  Great served warm with whipped cream, ice cream, or  just plain!  I know you'll enjoy this wonderful crisp! 
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment