Friday, October 22, 2010

FLORIST'S MUMS - GIANTS OF THE CHRYSANTHEMUM FAMILY


Growing up I'd always admired the mums I'd seen in my Grandma Holland's garden, or in some floral arrangements, or even on caskets at funerals.  I soon found out they weren't just ordinary garden mums, they were FLORIST'S MUMS.  They are beautiful perennial plants, and they are just starting to bloom now, and will continue until a hard freeze, which I understand may be in the next couple days.  This makes me sad, because I have waited all year for these stunning flowers, which can reach 6-8 inches across, to bloom.   Last year these wonderful giants of the Chrysanthemum family were blooming until the last of November, and the collage shows some of the cultivars I had last year.  Because they bloom later than garden mums, I know  there's always a chance that they may be affected by weather, but it's still disappointing when it happens.  But by the same token, it's worth the chance for me--the plants are very inexpensive and their care is minimal--so it's a chance I'm willing to take. The plants themselves are perfectly hardy, but the late-emerging buds are killed by the first hard freeze.  I hope the weather will cooperate a few more weeks so I can enjoy them.   But, you never know with Mother Nature! 
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment