Sunday, November 21, 2010

BEST-EVER, FAVORITE WHITE BREAD RECIPE FROM MOTHER


                                                                                
I've mentioned before that I come from a long line of bread makers.  My mother started making bread when she was just a small girl, and has been making it ever since!  Her mother was also a bread maker, and her mother before her.  So, it should come as no surprise that I have wanted to keep the tradition going.  My mother makes 12 loaves at a time.  I make 6--that's all the dough my heavy-duty Bosch bread mixer will hold.  We make several kinds, but my favorites are white (the best white bread I've ever tasted), a light, sweet rye that is out of this world (I got a Sweepstakes Best of Show at the Weber County Fair with this recipe--it's my family's favorite!), a Squaw, that I make in rounds, that I think is my favorite, a great French, and a molasses Whole Wheat.  This time of year in getting ready for Thanksgiving, I always make some white bread, because I've been spoiled--I can't eat dressing made with anything but homemade white bread.  I want to share the recipe--you won't find a better white recipe--I guarantee it.  It is not dry, or real porous, like so many homemade whites I've tasted.  The crust is perfect--and fresh out-of-the-oven with some homemade jam, or after it's been frozen for a month, it's super!  I especially like it made into toast, BLT's, grilled cheese, or albacore sandwiches with dill pickles and lettuce!  And, of course, Thanksgiving sage dressing.  One thing I really like about bread--it can be frozen for long periods of time without any deterioration in taste, and it's a perfect gift with a jar of homemade jam for just about any occasion--birthday, sickness, new baby, death, new neighbor, Christmas gift, or just to say you're thinking of someone. 

MOTHER'S BEST HOMEMADE WHITE BREAD 
5 Cups scalded milk (or 5 Cups warm water with 25   Tablespoons instant dry milk--then you don't need to scald it)
6 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon yeast
1/2 Cup warm water
6 Tablespoons shortening, melted
2 Tablespoons salt
White flour (approximately 17 Cups)
Soften yeast in warm water.  Combine scalded milk (or warm water and dry milk), sugar, salt and shortening.  Add about 5 Cups of flour and mix well.  Add softened yeast/water mixture.  Blend well.  Add flour, 1 Cup at a time, just until you have a soft, but not sticky dough.  Knead very well.  (10 minutes by hand, or 2-3 by bread mixer).  Turn out into large bowl and seal, or cover.  Let dough raise 1 hour.  Punch down.  Let raise again for 45 minutes.  Punch down and let raise 20 minutes.  Divide into 6 loaves.  Roll out jelly roll fashion and place in greased bread tins.  Let raise for 1 1/2 hours, or until the bread is 2-3 inches above the sides of the pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until a nice golden brown.  Cool on racks.  When cool, keep bread in plastic bags.  Can be frozen up to 6 months.   
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment