Wednesday, March 9, 2011

BEST-EVER SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN


This recipe for SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN has been a family favorite for many, many years, coming from an old cookbook from the little town of ELWOOD that I got in college. The cookbook had many good recipes from great Asian cooks.  We like it because it reminds us of one used by a local Chinese restaurant--but I like it even better!  It can also be made with pork, which was called for in the original recipe.  NOTE:  I increase the sauce ingredients 1 1/2 x's when making it.  We all love this recipe--it's definitely our favorite sweet and sour recipe!

SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN (or pork) (Elwood cook book)
2 lbs. chicken breasts or lean pork
1 cup water (I 1 1/2 x's this)
1/4 cup brown sugar  (I 1 1/2 x's this)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce (I 1 1/2 x's this) 
2-3 Tablespoons cornstarch (I 1 1/2 x's this)
1/4 cup vinegar (I 1 1/2 x's this)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I 1 1/2 x's this)
1 large onion, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped in large pieces
1 20-oz. can chunk pineapple, drained (I use an additional 6-oz can pineapple juice) 
Cube chicken breasts or pork loin into pieces, about the size of a silver dollar.  Brown in skillet.  Add 1 cup water and simmer until tender.  Drain pineapple, reserving liquid.  Combine sugar and cornstarch.  Add syrup, vinegar, soy sauce and salt.  Add to meat and cook until gravy bubbles and thickens.  Add green pepper and onion and cook until soft, but still crisp, about 3-5 minutes.  Add pineapple chunks and heat through.  Serve with steaming hot rice. 
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment