Tuesday, March 1, 2011

OLD FASHIONED CHICKEN VEGETABLE SOUP


This is my recipe for a chunky, hearty, CHICKEN VEGETABLE SOUP.  My mother-in-law made one similar, and that's when I developed this recipe.  I've made it for years for my family and we all love it.  Although I've used chicken breasts, I think it's best (and what I usually do), is stew a whole chicken, remove the meat from the bones, and then, using the broth, strain it through some cheesecloth, and use that as the broth for the soup.  I like big, chunky carrots, chopped onions, celery, and add frozen peas at the last.  Sometimes I put in some potatoes, but usually I don't--but you could add anything you desire, that's just what we like.  I've made homemade noodles with this, but I actually like it better just as I'm posting.

CHICKEN VEGETABLE SOUP
1 large whole chicken, boiled and taken off the bones
6 ribs celery, chunky chopped
2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced thick on the bias
2 large onions, chopped
1 bay leaf
S&P to taste
chicken bouillon cubes
Cover chicken with water and stew with a bay leaf and any celery tops you might have, until tender and done.  Remove chicken from broth and take meat off bones and set aside.  Take the broth, and  strain through cheesecloth, throwing away the bay leaf and any celery greenery.  Put liquid  in large stock pot.  Add chopped carrots, celery, and onions.  Cook until barely tender.  Add chicken bouillon cubes and 8 oz. water per cube, to desired liquid.  Add frozen peas and chicken pieces last, and heat through.  Serve with cheese and crackers, or homemade rolls.   


Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment