Thursday, January 19, 2017

SUNFLOWERS -- SUMMER BEAUTIES LOOK BEAUTIFUL IN ARRANGEMENTS




I don't grow sunflowers, but my neighbor does! I marvel at these tall beauties, and asked to cut some to make an arrangement.



She has several different varieties, all around 7-8 feet tall. Their nodding stems are a bit difficult to put in a basket container, so I used green plastic floral 'straws' to slide the stems in. This kept their heads up nicely.



The spent blooms are lovely in the arrangement as well. They add dimension and character to the bouquet.



The largest ones have big seeds. These can be harvested and roasted to eat.  



Sunflowers come in all sizes and colors. If you're interested in growing them, there are many fine nurseries and online stores where you can buy seed. Sunflowers love sun, and can grow in most any soil, as long as it's not soggy and wet.

I hope my neighbor plants them again this year--they were magnificent!
Susanne Holland Spicker Mother, Grandmother, Homemaker, Gardener, Teacher, Photographer

Passion is defined as the love of, or the object(s) of affection and emotion. I am passionate about family, friends, flowers, food, photography and fabulous music! This blog is dedicated to those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment